Skip to content

Mazarin Castle

The castle of Mazzarino is known by the name of ‘U Cannuni as it is formed by a single cylindrical tower that stands proudly towards the Mazzarese sky. It rises north of the town and still seems to carry out its role of protection and defense of the town.

Originally the castle had four cylindrical towers. In two of these towers the rooms for the house were obtained. The other two towers instead had defense functions. In the 80s, in order to ensure the use and conservation of the wonderful manor house, a theater was built.

Santa Maria della Neve

Temple of the Cathedral or Madrice was built towards the end of the 16th century on the area where a small church dedicated to Santa Maria della Neve once stood, based on a project by the architect Angelo Italia, subsequently modified on the testamentary disposition of Prince Carlo Maria Carafa. The original façade has remained incomplete, in fact in the upper left part there is a bas-relief carved in stone, depicting the creation of Adam and Eve, on the right side the other piece that was supposed to represent Cain and Abel is missing; on the whole facade there are four empty chests of drawers which were to be covered with bas-reliefs, no longer executed, as well as four statues which were to cover the empty niches are missing.

The interior has three naves, in the main altar there is a large canvas of the Madonna della Neve, the stuccos of the chapel of the Madonna di Lourdes are the work of Fantauzzi. This chapel and that of the SS. Sacramento, are adorned with two marvelous 19th century chandeliers in polychrome Murano glass; in the main altar there is a very rich stall of canons, or choir, a very precious work by the fellow citizen Santi Rigano. The altar is in gilded and colored crystals, the work consists of 36 scenes from the Old and New Testaments, above them the precious stall is completed by eighteen medallions, reproducing the twelve apostles, the four evangelists, Saint Joseph and the Madonna, the The work was completed in 1872. The Cathedral has been a parish with some interruptions since 1763.

Basilica Maria SS. of Mazzaro

Built around 1100 by Manfredi, destroyed by the earthquake of 1693 and rebuilt in 1760. The temple with three naves with walls decorated in Sicilian Baroque style based on a project by Bonaiuto from Syracuse.

Inside there is a wooden picture depicting the Madonna and Child on her knees and next to the Sicilian virgins Sant’Agata and Santa Lucia, in Greek-Byzantine style, found by a shepherd around 1125 while he was grazing his flock on the wooded top of the hill of Mazarin; buried following the edict issued by Leone Isaurico, after the discovery, the people proclaimed the Madonna of the picture Patroness of Mazarin.

Maria SS. of Tears

It originated from an event that happened to everyone’s sight in 1638, when in the house of a certain Giuseppe Peloso, a painting of the Holy Virgin is seen weeping. The house was demolished and from its ashes, at the behest of the people and for the charity of Count Giuseppe Branciforti, the current church was erected, having a circular shape, with three naves, the diameter of the dome of St. Peter’s in Rome. Santa Rita is venerated there, whose feast takes place in the month of May.

Former Convent of the PP. Carmelites and the Carmine Church

Dating back even before 1471, this convent today transformed into the Town Hall, except for the church was commissioned by Giuseppe Branciforti but completed by the Carmelite prior G. Marco Ferranti around 1673, the church is in the form of a Latin cross with somewhat Baroque ornaments; the main altar is richly decorated with polychrome marbles. Inside is the crypt of the Sarcophagus of Prince Giovanni II Branciforti.

On 23 November 2011 at 11:08 lightning strikes the tip of the dome damaging the “eye of the cusp” of the church and destroying some cars. Now the structure has been protected with accurate precautions.

SS. Elm Crucifix

Dating back to the 5th century of the Christian era; restored by the Normans between the 10th and 11th centuries and dedicated to the Madonna dell’Itria; destroyed following the earthquake of 1693 and rebuilt by the Marquis Filippo Bivona. It seems that since that time the Crucifix existed, called the Crocifisso delle Grazie; today we venerate the SS. Crucifix mounted on a very heavy iron coffin which is carried on the shoulders of barefoot and naked men wearing only the white habit of the brotherhood through some streets of the town on the Second Sunday of the month of May.

The name “Signore dell’Olmo” comes from a legend. In fact, it is said that in an unspecified period the Crucifix was the object of attention by a group of thieves. One of these stuck an elm wood rod in front of the church door, but this immediately began to sprout, putting the criminals to flight. In fact, a large Elm was present until the end of the 19th century.

Parish of the PP. Capuchins

With adjoining convent; erected around 1120, the Madonna delle Grazie was venerated there and then it was dedicated to San Francesco d’Assisi. In 1574, Baron Pietro Rivalora financed and built the convent adjacent to the church.

Immaculate Conception

Built in the fourteenth century, between 1560 and 1575 it was dedicated to the Madonna della Catena, there is a 1606 canvas by Paladini depicting the Immaculate Conception adored by St. Francis, where the painter portrays himself dressed in a Franciscan habit, subscribing with the words: “Philippus Paladini florentinus pingebat, year 1606”.

St. Dominic

Previously known as Santa Maria del Soccorso. Built in 1480 by the nobleman Antonio Alegambe; it is annexed to the former convent of the Dominican friars; inside it houses the statue of Maria SS. del Rosario whose feast falls on the first Sunday of October. It has a single nave.

Santa Maria del Gesu

With an adjoining convent, it has a single nave. Built in 1425 and dedicated to Sant’Ippolito, annexed to the church, in 1573, the convent of Santa Maria del Gesù was built, from which the whole complex took its name. Its erection as a parish took place in 1943.

Daughters of Mary Help of Christians

Built in 1965, it was enriched in 1983 onwards with polychrome marbles; elliptical in shape, on both sides a picture of Don Bosco and San Domenico Savio and a picture of Mother Mazzarello and Laura Vicuna. On the dome of the church there is a marble statue of Mary Help of Christians. In 1961, the monument of Christ the King was inaugurated in a corner outside the church.

Santa Maria delle Grazie

Built around the 11th century near the ancient Mazzarino, Holy Mass is celebrated there once a year, on 2 July. In 1973 the Crucifix and a plaster stone painting of the Madonna were stolen, the latter dating back to the same era of construction of the said church, where Greek hieroglyphs were imprinted.